Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hatred is Not an Isaac Hayes Value: Legendary Singer/Cartoon Voice Quits "South Park" Due to Scientology Intolerance


After 10 years and 150 episodes, Isaac Hayes has finally called it quits on “South Park”. Hayes' character Jerome "Chef" McElroy first appeared in the beloved long-running cartoon in the episode, “Cartman Gets an Anal Probe” and since has given us some great moments. He regaled us with tunes like, “Chocolate Salty Balls”, “The Prostitute Song” and his touching love song to Kathy Lee Gifford.
A devout Scientologist, Mr. Hayes quit after the child friendly cartoon took a turn for the intolerant when it aired the episode, “Trapped in the Closet” in which the character Stan is believed to be the reincarnation of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends, and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins." "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Trapped in the Closet” was the first time South Park creators satirized a religion. They have deliberately stayed away from controversial issues – particularly dealing with religion – out of respect for the faith-based community at large. Among the groups they have not made fun of: Christians, Muslims, Mormons and Jews. Since its debut in 1996, South Park has won praise and an Emmy award for a satirical wit far outstripping most American television shows. Says co-creator Matt Stone, "To bring the civil rights struggle into this is just a non sequitur. Of course, we will release Isaac from his contract and we wish him well."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,

I would just like to assure you that the mere fact of your being an Actor or a member of the Theatre in no way makes you any less of a Gentleman to me. I am aware of the scurrilous insults and slurs against the character of your typical Thespian. Pernicious nonsense, all of it! Many a fine young Shakespearian Actor has used the Art of the Theater to lift his soul and character above the moral-morasses from which he was raised by his mother or orphanage. Many a young youth in my time used the Theatre to raise himself out of the poorhouse or debtors prison. And I salute you for all of the moxie and gumption you bear within.

Seeing your list of accomplishments in the Theatre has taken me back to my youth. When I was a strapping young lad in my early teens, I too fancied a go at the Theatre. One would think that there would be few roles for a stripling such as myself, yet I soon learned that young men were in demand to play the role of ladies, such as Juliet, or Lady Mac Beth. Ahh, you tell from my choices that the Bard, Master Shakespeare, is near and dear to my heart. However, I lacked the courage of my convictions, and never thrust myself into the Actors Guild. More is the sorrow, more is the sorrow. And now, that I have lost the bloom of my youth, no longer are those sort of roles available to me, as they are now to you.

Therefore, I say to you, young Sir, take hold of your dream and hold fast to it. Soon you will grow long of leg and loin, and strong of shoulder and back. Your voice will deepen to the baritone you seek and desire. Then the roles you covet shall be yours, and you may yet find yourself playing the role of Hamlet himself, reciting the line immortal, “To be, or not to be. That is the question…”

Yours truly,

Colonel Hiram Horatio Cushenberry, 4th Dragoons Battalion, 127th Regiment, Retired

9:05 PM  
Blogger RR said...

I'm pretty sad about Chef leaving myself. I loved Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac gave em' the SHAFT, eh? Right On!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home